There was a guy on the side lines yelling, "A marathon is a 6 mile race and a 20 mile warm up." Another guy shouted "The marathon doesn't start until mile 20!" I couldn't agree more.
I ran almost the entire first 15 miles. When I got to mile 18 I thought, "Wow, only 7 more miles, I'm a rock star!" Then, on mile 21.5 I was talking to Ryan and found myself fighting tears because of the pain - ankles seizing up, knees screaming, quads tightening . . . I was falling apart. But by mile 23 I was perking up, and was able to run the last mile through to the finish line.
I had a little fury to fuel my fire at the end. At mile 22 I had to use the Port-O-Potty. Well, apparently, I hadn't tucked my cell phone into my pocket securely enough because it fell into the abyss. PLOP! I was livid, but at least I had something to run about! 
It was pretty inspiring to read the signs along the route. One said "you can if you think you can." Another quoted Eleanor Roosevelt: You must do the thing that you think you cannot do.
Check! A marathon and childbirth. I'm good on challenges for a little while!
1 comment:
Way to go! I've always wanted to do a marathon. You'll have to tell me your training secrets. Hope you're recovering ok!
Post a Comment